Even the most die-hard DIY’er needs to know when to call in the professionals. Here are 10 times in this season of Help, I Wrecked My House! where Jasmine Roth brought in specialists to rescue homeowners in over their heads.
Watch Help! I Wrecked My House on the Global TV App and on STACKTV with Amazon Prime Video Channels. HGTV Canada is available through all major TV service providers.
Homeowners Matt and Sarah knew they needed help after taking their house down to the studs without consulting a contractor or an inspector, resulting in a potentially unsafe home for their children. Jasmine’s first order of business was to call in the pros to check the structure before starting from the ground up. Not only is this the safer (and necessary) route for any major reno, but it also allows you to properly plan and build any custom features in your new place.
Related: 10 of the Most Common DIYs Gone Wrong (and How to Fix Them)
Rescue From Rodents and Pests
It may have looked cute in animated movies, but pest takeovers of your house are definitely dangerous. When Jasmine finds rat droppings above the ceiling of homeowner Maddie’s kitchen, she knows that only the experts can properly and safely sanitize this space for cooking (and check for any other infestations in the home). Creepy crawlers and unwanted rodents may delay your reno plans, but it’s best to leave it to the pros to get rid of them.
Related: How Much Should You Actually Budget for Your Kitchen Reno?
Dealing With Black Mould
Although mould can play havoc with allergies and asthma, black mould is especially dangerous and needs professionals with proper PPE for a thorough removal. When Jasmine finds black mould in Kadie and Bryan’s bathroom, it needs to be dealt with carefully. Not only does she call in the experts, but she also puts measures into place to avoid trapped water that could lead to future issues.
Related: 10 Natural Ways to Keep Bathroom Tile and Grout Free From Mould
Repairing Water Damage
You may think that a little drip from an upstairs bathroom is a small matter, but Jasmine knows better. What lurked underneath the tile in the sub-flooring of Nathan and Paige’s bathroom seemed harmless, but in reality, they were facing potential rotting and weakening in the upper levels – a huge safety hazard Jasmine flagged right away. When dealing with water damage or its aftermath, it’s always best to get it repaired as soon as possible to prevent a collapse (or mould, which has its own dangers).
Removing Load Bearing Walls
Before you take a sledgehammer to open up a space, check whether or not it’s functioning as a load-bearing element to your house structure. Maddie’s DIY demo leaves holes that have Jasmine calling for an engineer to check the house’s structural integrity, and she eventually puts in posts to open up the space in a safe and sound manner.
Read more: Sarah Baeumler’s 10 Staging Tricks That Will Make a Tiny Room Look Bigger
Remodeling a Built-In Fireplace
Fed up with a fireplace that they hate, homeowners Nathan and Paige try removing it themselves, breaking tile and exposing the inside of the fireplace. Jasmine ends up replacing the tile and making the fireplace a safe yet aesthetically pleasing centrepiece to the living room. Remember codes extend to fireplaces, too, so be sure to have them inspected by the experts.
Related: The 24-Hour Makeover Series: Transform Your Fireplace With Paint
Pouring Concrete Slab
An ambitious DIY home addition had homeowners Sam and Katrina pouring their own concrete on a slope noticeable enough that Jasmine was able to roll a ball down it. Not the foundation you want for any new reno! Right away, Jasmine calls in an inspector to sign off on the structure’s safety, and both Jasmine and contractor Scott Cross end up properly levelling out the floor before beginning to build anything. Moral of the story: it’s not always as easy as it looks!
Read more: Kortney and Kenny Bring an Old Craftsman House Back to Life
Installing Electrical Panels
Electrical work is fraught with danger to the inexperienced, as amateur contractor Anthony finds out when his attempt to install can lights leaves exposed electrical wiring, almost leading to a fire. Jasmine turns to an electrician to make sure all panels are grounded and up to code, replace the electrical panel and safely install lights.
Related: 10 Things That Will Make Your Kitchen Feel Way More Luxurious
Exposing Gas Lines
Jasmine is shocked at the exposed gas line in homeowners Liz and Anthony’s kitchen island, which creates a major safety hazard for the whole family. Whether you’re doing interior renos, or digging around outside for landscaping, demos without checking for gas or sewer lines can leave you with expensive repairs and angry neighbours. Make sure to get the proper inspections before doing any demolishing.
Related: 15 Gas, Electric and Wood Fireplaces for a Cozy Fall and Winter
Jasmine noticed that Mike and Sarah’s house had front windows with non-tempered glass – vulnerable to shattering, which is a danger to the couple’s children. She replaces the windows with vinyl ones that are harder to break. Window replacement is a big, expensive job working with highly fragile materials, and improper installation can lead to big energy bills, so leave it to the professionals.
HGTV your inbox.