Here are 10 tips for designing a restful, stylish and fun bedroom for your children:
- Structure comes first! Make sure the rooms are insulated to ward off cold winters and hot summers.
- Don’t pay a premium for kids’ furniture. Vintage pieces are well-built, affordable and often more functional.
- Rejuvenate vintage furniture with a coat of paint. It’ll look like new and complement your color palette-custom piece at a fraction of the price!
- Get creative with fabric. Inspiration can be found in the remnants department as much as anywhere else.
- Broadloom is a must in kids’ rooms. It’s a luxury to little feet and helps with noise reduction. Look to wool and other options that don’t off-gas.
- Time to get hands-on! Artwork created by you or your child is the cheapest way to showcase original pieces.
- Innovative storage is possible in the smallest bedrooms. Consider cubby-holes in walls to house a light, clock radio and favourite books.
- Skylights are surprisingly affordable and water-tight way to add light and ventilation. They add head room and a view to the stars every night.
- Think twice about dormer installation. It could be a costly and time-eating alternative to skylights.
- Saving money can be fun! Meet this and all challenges by thinking outside the box!