Here are 10 easy tips for designing a stylish and efficient backyard space:
- Find a landscape design firm by word of mouth, or from seeing another backyard you love. Be prepared to ask questions, share your opinions and learn something new every step of the way.
- Save on deck-building costs by using less expensive pressure-treated lumber for structure and all unseen areas.
- Who says fencing has to run vertically? Attach fence boards horizontally for a contemporary feel-it also fools the eye into thinking there’s more space.
- A dark stain on a wooden fence also expands the area and provides a dramatic backdrop for plant material.
- Invest in perennials rather than new plants every year. Chosen well, some grasses, bushes and trees provide all-season interest.
- Spend the time and money to prepare planting beds. Rich, new soil ensures that your investment in plant material will pay off!
- Buy the best outdoor furniture you can afford. It’s not only a backyard oasis but an extension of your living space. Invest in good quality pieces that are comfortable and durable.
- If there’s something you don’t want to see, block it out. Consider translucent tempered glass dividers for added privacy and interest.
- Sample paint colors as you would inside your home. You’d be surprised how much lighter dark colors look outdoors.
- Don’t neglect lighting. Illuminate your garden to create an outdoor space that is a showstopper every evening.