When it comes to the many rooms in a home, the kitchen and bathroom are two of the most valuable. Whether yours require a minor refresh or a major revamp, it’s important to crunch numbers before tackling a project. In our Common Renovating Costs series, Danny Edell of Toronto-based boutique construction and renovation company True Contractors reveals what you can expect to pay for various home improvements (check out our past posts on flooring and walls, windows & doors).
Curious how much it costs to undergo a basic kitchen or bathroom renovation? Here’s what you need to know:
- It goes without saying that a freshly finished bathroom and kitchen are a wise investment for resale. Although upgrading these spaces can be costly, the end result is worth it. To begin, consider installing new countertops.
- Note that all countertop prices are subject to the slab quantity and size.
- The average price for supply, fabrication and installation is $70 to $80 per square foot for most quartz and granite.
- The average cost of supply for a natural stone or quartz countertop is $25 per square foot.
- More expensive and covetable materials like marble typically cost $30 per square foot and higher.
- More affordable materials, such as basic granite, typically cost around $15 per square foot.
- There are many factors that will influence price, including the material’s thickness, edging, cuts, angles and the number of slabs required. The cost will also vary depending on the material’s finish, from honed to polished to leathered.
- The average installation and labour cost for a tiled backsplash ranges depending on the material, but plan to budget between $800 and $1,000.
- The average price for a natural stone slab is the same cost as that of the above mentioned countertop, at $25 per linear foot.
- Stone and glass tiles generally cost between $15 to $20 per square foot.
- As for more expensive stone tiles, such as marble? Prices typically start at $20 per square foot and increase from there.
- More affordable options like ceramic subway tiles generally cost $2 per square foot and higher.
- Want to make a major style statement? Intricately patterned tiles crafted from high-end materials can cost upwards of $100 per square foot.
HGTV your inbox.
Thanks for subscribing to HGTV.ca!