Here are 10 tips for organizing and sprucing up two of the messiest and drabbest rooms in the home:
- Organization and storage are the luxuries of a mudroom. Everything in its place helps the entire home operate smoothly.
- Whether using bins or wicker baskets for storage, create a simple system. Labels or colour-coding make for less confusion and ease of use.
- High-traffic areas demand durable, easy-clean flooring. If choosing stone, look to textures that don’t allow dirt to gather.
- A mudroom should be easily accessed from the door it’s meant to serve. Study family traffic patterns and strategically choose the best spot.
- Measure twice and avoid headaches! Proper measurements are your guide to cabinetry and appliances that fit right the first time!
- Consider sliders to maintain valuable floor space. Make stairways and halls wide enough to carry bulky items.
- Organization is the key to a well-functioning laundry room. A light and cheery space makes mundane chores more enjoyable.
- Linen closets can provide ample and ordered storage for bed linens and towels. A perfect place to locate it is near the laundry room.
- Create a special space for the laundry basket. Keep it off the floor to make the room appear less messy.
- A well-lit stairway means safety and ease of access when carrying laundry or stowing away hockey bags. Consider path lighting on a dark stairwell for any time of the day.