Here are 10 tips for creating a functional home office or den with the same design flair as the rest of your home:
- When buying furniture for a small room, look to larger pieces that give weight and purpose.
- Give more weight to what the room is going to be used for most of the time, and balance it with other needs.
- Consider the color palette of adjoining rooms when choosing a design direction. A den or office is a good place to be a bit daring.
- Look for sturdy, non-traditional pieces to work double-duty as storage, for work and play. Visit vintage office and furniture stores for unique pieces with varied interest.
- Scour the basement and second-hand shops for unique coffee and side tables and lighting. Often inexpensive they take the wear and tear of company surprisingly well.
- Add a touch of your own personality to vintage furniture with knobs or other details you love.
- Closed storage is a must if you want an office that stays clutter-free. Every paper, pencil and pen should have a home.
- Think about art in any room within the context of the entire home. A mix of photography, paintings and other media will ensure visual variety.
- Make the space inviting with durable and easy-living fabrics and textures.
- Look for inspiration around you. Any everyday object can be your surprise design muse!