Chic, easy and earth-friendly decor ideas to update your space.
- Refurbishing retro furniture is design and green friendly — and a lot less money, since collectibles in perfect condition can be pricey.
- Re-upholstery is a great way to breathe new life into older furniture and can make them look like they were pulled out of a glossy magazine.
- By re-arranging furniture around a carpet, you enhance the room by making it look more balanced and cohesive.
- Arrange books on a shelf by color — it looks great and it’s a good trick to ensure that your eyes sweep across books you may have forgotten about.
- When your main source of lighting is overhead pot lights, adding floor and table lamps create a cozier feel to your space. Mixing different floor and table lamps gives a room an eclectic but cohesive look — and provides both mood and task lighting.
- An earth-friendly makeover consists of the three R’s — refresh, reupholster, and relocate!
- Vintage furniture is one of the best ways to approach an eco-friendly design makeover, because you’re reusing your resources and little effort is needed to make them look great.
- Chemical-free tung oil is great for refreshing and protecting wood, it’s a natural product that’s been used in China for thousands of years.
- Teak is a great environmental wood — it doesn’t need a lot of chemical finishing; you can just treat it with a natural oil like Tung or Linseed and it looks fabulous.