- Dyed merino wool, roving and coloured mohair yarn
- Bamboo blind
- Window screening
- Dish soap
- Purse pattern
- Wool and needle for sewing
- Rubber gloves
- Lid from juice container, large plastic bucket, hot water, kitchen sponge, waterproof table and floor area
- Roll out the bamboo window shade on work surface, and roll out piece of screening on top of the bamboo shade. Start laying out coloured wool on top of the screening. Alternate layers of wool in opposite directions. Make sure there are no holes all the way through by using your hands to feel for unevenness.
- Once all the layers are down, put another layer of screening over top of the wool. Put rubber gloves on. Use a bucket with dish soap and HOT water. With a sponge, squeeze the water out over the felt; then press the wet sponge into the piece with pressure from your hands totally soak the wool.
- Use the juice container lid to rub the felt down. Pull up the screen occasionally to release felt from the screen and then rub it down again.
- Roll up the screen and pound it out with your fists for a few minutes. Squeeze out excess water into bucket or sink. Roll screen up in the opposite direction and pound again. Unroll and rotate felt. Roll up again and roll back and roll for a minute. Unroll and rotate felt again and roll again.
- Remove both pieces of screening and roll in bamboo screen only. Keep alternating approximately every 2 minutes of rolling it in different directions.
- Remove from bamboo screen, and throw it on the table and bang it around on the table for a while.
- Rinse it in a bucket or sink full of water (cold is fine) and a cap full of vinegar. You can also put the wool in the washing machine on spin cycle to get rid of excess water. Hang to dry. Allow felt to dry overnight.
- Start felting handle with wool roving, by wetting the wool and quickly rolling it between your hands. Do this until you have ‘felted’ your roving – this becomes the handle for the purse. Hang to dry. Allow felt to dry overnight.
- Iron the felt.
- Cut out shape for purse. Save scraps to make flowers to add on later.
- Cut out three flower shapes. Hand sew flowers onto purse. Fold edges of purse together and sew sides together with wool needle.
- Sew on finished felt handle.
Coloured wool and roving, wool and needle for sewing –
Birkeland Bros. Wool
3573 Main Street
Bamboo blind, scissors-
Window screening, rubber gloves –