What better way to say “I love you” than with an activity that the whole family can do together? Kids of all ages will enjoy making one of these three unique Valentine’s Day cards with some help from their parents.
Card #1: I Love You This Much!
(Suitable for ages 2 to 5)
- Poster board or large sheet of paper
- Crayons or markers
- Have the child lie down on the poster board (or large sheet of paper) with their arms spread wide.
- Make sure that their head, shoulders and outstretched arms fit on the page.
- Trace around the child with a pencil or marker and draw a big red heart on the left side of the chest. Now it’s up to the young artist to colour in the details.
- Ask your child if they know what colour their hair and eyes are (it might be handy to have a mirror nearby) and get colouring!
“I love you this much!”
“A Valentine’s hug for you!”
Tip: Is your wee one a bit too wiggly to trace properly? Draw the outline of a person with their arms outstretched, and let your child add their clothes and features.
Card #2: You're In My Heart
(Suitable for ages 6 and up)
- Red or pink card stock or construction paper
- Black pen or marker
- Fold a piece of card stock or construction paper into four sections, accordion style.
- Draw a heart that just touches both sides of the paper.
- Cut out the heart – you’ll now have four hearts joined together.
- Write a message on the inside of the hearts, putting one word on each section. You can adjust the number of accordion folds to make a chain of hearts as long or as short as you’d like!
Tip: Trim the bottom of the heart straight across to make a card that stands up!
Card #3: A Sweetheart Silhouette
(Suitable for ages 10 and up)
- Digital camera and printer
- Red or pink card stock
- Black acrylic paint and paintbrush
- White glue (or a glue stick)
- Take a photograph of the child’s profile from the shoulders up.
- Print the photo onto card stock and carefully outline the silhouette in pencil.
- Cut out the silhouette (small, sharp scissors work best for cutting out details) and paint it black.
- Let the paint dry.
- Cut a heart out of red or pink card stock that is larger all around than the silhouette.
- Glue the silhouette onto the heart and write a message to you Valentine.
Tip: You can scale the size of the silhouette image up or down using the print settings on your computer.