Sweet and Simple Cut-Out Cards
By Mia Rodak, Website Manager
Put a personal touch on your holiday cards this year by making them yourself. These simple cut-out style cards are a fun and easy craft that will help to get you into the holiday spirit and impress your loved ones with their stylish simplicity.
White card stock
Coloured felt (we’ve used red and blue for these examples)
- Cut the white card stock into the desired size. If you have trouble figuring out what size your cards should be, trying tracing a store-bought greeting card.
- Fold the card stock in half so you have formed the body of your card and created the centre crease.
- Using the inside of the front of your card, use a pencil and draw the shape of your choice. In this example, we’ve drawn a dreidel and candy cane. Remember to keep your shapes graphic and simple enough that you’ll be able to cut them out using the Exacta knife.
- Lay the card open and flat on your cutting board and following your pencil lines cut out the shapes – be mindful that for some shapes, like the dreidel, you’ll only want to cut our sections of the shape, using some white space to help create a three dimensional look.
- Cut your felt into the same size as one half of your card and using crafters glue fasten it to the back of the front page of your card. The coloured felt should now show through the areas that you cut out.
- If your shape requires any additional adornments (for example, the stripes on the candy cane), cut them out of the white card stock and glue them onto the front of the card, on top of the felt in the appropriate places.
Safety Note: Parents crafting with children should help with all steps that require the use of scissors and Exacta knife.
Renos & DIY