Back to school! Has it come already? Be prepared, and follow a few easy steps to put a personal touch on reducing your impact on the environment. Washable. Durable. Compact. Sustainable. Stylish.
- 2 7-1/2" x 5"
- 2 13" x 5"
- 2 13" x 7-1/2"
-Iron-ons, fabric paints, etc. for ornamentation
- Measure and cut 6 denim panels: 2 7-1/2" x 5" (bottom); 2 13" x 5" (sides), and 2 13" x 7-1/2" (front and back). All measurements include a 3/8" seam allowance.
- Apply decorative elements onto front or back panel.
- Fold and double top-stitch a 1/2" hem at the top of each the side, front, and back panels.
- Stack and sew together the two bottom panels. This will make the bag sturdy.
- With the vertical panels inverted, stitch them to the bottom using a 3/8" seam allowance. Stitch all the vertical edges. Surge the inside edges if resources permit.
- Dart the side panels, like the folds in a paper bag, to impart shape.
- Top-stitch the edges of the side and bottom seams to punch out the shape.
- Make two folds at the top of the bag, and apply a Velcro closure to fasten.
- Stitch together with seams on the outside for a frayed look
- Try different fabrics and patterns
- Apply iron-on transfers, decorative stitching, appliqué, initials, fabric paints, handles, etc.