Gift Wrapping 101
By HGTV.ca Editorial Team
Are you up all night until the eleventh hour trying to figure out how to wrap that gift you bought weeks ago? With this straight-forward tutorial you’ll be able to avoid the lure of expensive professional wrapping kiosks in the mall and turn out beautifully-wrapped presents for any occasion every time.
You Will Need:
A roll of wrapping paper
A square or rectangular gift box
A ruler or straight edge
- If your gift isn’t boxed, place it in a square or rectangular gift box. This alone will make the process infinitely easier and the results much neater.
- Unravel your gift wrapping paper and place your gift on the non-printed side. Now take the rolled end and bring it over the top of the gift to meet the other end. With your pencil make a small mark about an inch past this point and cut the paper lengthwise in a straight line (you can use the ruler to help you make a straight line).
- Take this piece and place your gift approximately in the middle (you don’t need to measure, just estimate). Take the end of the paper closest to you and bring it up to the edge of the top of the box. If it doesn’t line up, move the box up or down so it does.
- Now take the end of the paper furthest away from you and bring it up to the edge of the top of the box as well. You will have overhang. With your pencil make a small mark where the edge of the box meets the paper and cut the paper width-wise in a straight line (again use your ruler to help you make a straight line.
- Now take your gift box and flip it upside down so the top or lid is on top of the paper. Place the box in the middle of the paper once again.
- Take a small piece of double-sided tape and stick it to the middle of the box. Now take the left side of the paper and bring it up and over the box and press firmly on the tape.
- Take the right side of the paper and with your ruler make a small crease, slightly thinner than an inch. User your fingernail to score the paper well (but don’t cut or damage it!).
- Place another piece of double-sided tape on top of this crease and bring the paper up and over the box and press down firmly on top of the left side your previously taped.
- Now you’re ready to fold in the top and bottom. Start with the side that is closest to you. Place your hand on the outside of the paper and press firmly until your create a flap on the top and the bottom. Now place your hand on the left side and do the same. Press firmly as far in as the paper will go without ripping it.
- Repeat on the other side of the box.
- Now you’re ready to tape these ends down. Place a strip of double-sided tape underneath the top flat and press down. Place a strip of the tape on the bottom flap and press up. Repeat on the other side of the box.
- Finally, turn the box over so that the seams are on the bottom. Dress your perfectly wrapped box with ribbon or bows.
Renos & DIY
blog comments powered by