Spruce up your home with these unique votives made from fresh autumn produce.
Assortment of mini-pumpkins and gourds
1 bag of shredded candle wax
Clean/dry empty soup can
Small sharp knife
- After testing the balance, and deciding if you'd like to cut vertically or horizontally, cut each fruit in half.
- Use a grapefruit spoon or small sharp knife to hollow out the skins. Dry the insides of the skins with paper towels. Place the skins in a muffin tray.
- Cut wicks to approximate lengths. Make a small slit in the bottom of the each fruit half and stick the end of wick into the membrane so that it stands on its own.
- Remove the paper label from the soup can. Pinch one side of the can to make a "lip". Boil water in a medium sized pot. Fill the can with shredded wax, and place it in the boiling water. The wax will melt into a clear liquid.
- Pour the wax slowly into the fruit halves, holding the wick upright with your free hand until the wax starts to harden.
- Let the wax cool. Trim the wick to desired height (wicks should never be more than 1/2" above wax). Store the votives in the freezer until you are ready to use them.
Caution: Never leave a burning candle unattended.