Many of us haven’t the slightest idea of how much it really costs to undergo a basic home renovation, let alone a complete overhaul.
In our Renovating
Costs series, we outline how much you can expect to spend for just about any project you plan to take on. WALLS
Whether you are knocking down old walls, putting up new ones or cosmetically altering your existing walls, the superficial result of your walls is generally how people judge a space, including our self. So next time you pick up a paint brush yourself, or attempt to roll-on that expensive wallpaper you splurged on, remember that there are experts out there for good reason.
- Painting your walls is, on average, priced at $0.80 a square foot, supply and labor.
- For an average room that measures approximately 12x12 you would be looking at $700 for a complete paint job (i.e. basic walls, ceiling and trim).
- Wallpapering a room, especially if working with heavily patterned wallpaper, is truly an art. The pros are those to trust.
- Their labor costs average around $40 to hang a single roll, plus $40 to $80 wallpaper glue, and $20 to $30 for blades.
- A minimum charge of $200 plus materials is fairly typical, for a small wall.
- Wallpaper can range from $60 to $500 (and higher) a roll, depending on the brand/artist/designer, and the intricacy of the pattern.
- Wainscoting/trim and other architectural detailing can be a terrific way to boost ambiance, texture and character to your space.
- Typically, the cost of moldings and trim is $6 a linear foot (mid-grade), supply and install, to which you will add $3 a linear foot for caulking and painting.
- This cost is representative of a solid wood, for example, poplar material.
can have tremendous impact on your household. Whether you are a modernist, traditionalist, or minimalist, a new door breathes new life into a space.
Installing and trimming a basic interior door costs about $700, with basic hardware
Exterior doors range
anywhere from $300-$5000, depending on the fabrication.
can bring significant energy savings to a home and rid of the unwanted cool drafts that come in and out of old windows.
To install, trim, and flash (exterior protection) a new window costs approximately $650. And to cut out opening, install header, case the inside will cost $800, plus window unit ($650).