Sarah Richardson's 10 Tips for Finding and Buying Your Dream Home
By the Sarah's House Design Team
Here are 10 practical tips for finding and buying your dream home:
- Do your research by scouring newspapers and real estate websites. Make a move only with a certified real estate agent—their knowledge and guidance are crucial to a successful buy.
- Narrow your house search by focusing on the features and location you want. Being honest with yourself helps you to spend money and time wisely.
- Look for the cheapest house in the best neighbourhood. If you renovate it properly, a return on your investment is guaranteed.
- Don’t shy away from a house that’s been cut up into apartments. Converting it back to a single dwelling is easier than you think.
- Prepare for a trade-off. There is no such thing as a perfect home. Prioritize sacrifices and deal breakers.
- Beware of cosmetic upgrades. If renovating you’ll pay twice: to buy it and to replace it.
- Location is everything. You can change almost everything about a house except where it’s located.
- Parking is a must-have. Think of it as part of your investment.
- Keep perspective. If a deal falls through another one will come along in the not too distant future.
- A sense of humour helps. The laughs are there if you look hard enough!