Got the fever? Spring is not just for lusting after the cottage, pining for patio season and getting blinded by early leg exposure on the street: it’s also for Real Estate.
I capitalize because to me, Real Estate is a full discipline. A phenomenon that’s inextricable from household finances, setting the course for many of our life’s pursuits, and connecting us all in one way or another.
Whether you own or not, you talk about it. You talk about it all the time. From the people I’ve asked in my circles (and my circles vary extensively in age, economic status, cultural orientation and values) real estate is the default topic of conversation at parties and social gatherings. Where religion and politics tend to divide, real estate can get heated, but it brings people together. We love to bemoan inflating markets, we love to predict mortgage rates, brag about our good decisions and commiserate over lost opportunities. The renters talk up their financial freedom and the owners nod earnestly while lamenting their monthly payments, all the while feeling snug as a bug on their budget-choking patch of grass.
Kids younger and younger are talking about saving for their first condo, and parents live with the stress of how to give their kids a leg up in the game.
There’s something for everyone in the inexhaustible topic of Real Estate, an all-consuming preoccupation that’s made MLS trollers of us all, including us, at HGTV.ca. And because we understand, we set aside the month of April to let loose the obsession. Buying, selling, flipping, staging, renting, alternative financing and more! Property Virgins is back for a new season and Sandra Rinomato is back with a brand new real estate show, Buy Herself. So stay tuned — we’ll work it all out on the blog!
New This Month
A young couple takes on gutting their fist home! Follow their efforts in an 8-part Real People Reno series — we may see them flip the home in the end!
- Real People Reno, Part 1: The Kitchen
- Real People Reno, Part 2: The Bathroom
- Real People Reno, Part 3: The Foyer
- Real People Reno, Part 4: Living and Dining Room
- Real People Reno, Part 5: The Bedroom
- Real People Reno, Part 6: Curb Appeal
- Real People Reno, Part 7: The Backyard
More New Blog Posts
- A Mood Board for Selling: Wow House Hunters with the Perfect Entryway!
- Wooden Skyscrapers
- Renting vs Owning: Is this Really a Debate?
- Unreal Estate: A Renting Man Shares Some Poignant Observations
- Bling! Go our Purse Strings as Real Estate Madness Hits Toronto — Again!
- To Stage or Not to Stage…
- Exclusive Interview: Sandra Rinomato on New Show, Buy Herself
- Thinking About Buying Your First Home?
- To Buy or Not to Buy
- Tips On Protected Views and Your Legal Address
- Taking Charge in a Bidding War
- Condo Buying Tips
- Real Talk About Reno Financing
- True Tales About Termites
- Working with Real Estate Agents
- Who’s Buying Condos These Days?
- How to Survive a Bidding War
- What’s Knob & Tube Wiring?