Well it’s certainly fireplace season! And boy did I wish the previous owners of my home didn’t close in both of the first and second floor wood-burning fireplaces (no doubt to save on maintenance costs) when this past Friday and Saturday my family lost power on the coldest night of the season. Yes, I was part of the 50,000 people that lost power in a Toronto Hydro kerfuffle, for over 24 hours.
But enough about my brush with the gulag. When we do get around to it, after we fix everything else on our never-ending to-do list, I would like to bust those fireplaces open again, and come hell or high water – or power outage – burn some wood.
There’s my answer: I would take the cozy, permeating scent and glow of wood-burning over the ornamental look of gas any day.
Almost. Because, there is this non-wood-burning fireplace from Sparks Fires, that I certainly wouldn’t throw out of my house for not smoking…
Beautiful, no? The "Fire Ribbon" is available to Canadians by order, in ductless and direct vent options. A total splurge, of course, but the only kind of gas fireplace that I would consider. (I can almost hear my husband thinking, “you can keep on considering; that’s free.”). Actually, the ductless would be a great option to research for condo/apartment installation, although I’m not sure if it is approved by all Canadian building codes (you’d need to look into that).
So how about you? Wood-burning or gas? Did anyone inherit a gas fireplace and now loves it? Do tell!