Wish to give your kitchen some pizzazz without blowing away a fortune? Let in light, exchange cabinetry for clutter and make the most of the space you have, all in a kitchen you love to use. Here are some easy, low-cost changes to consider that can instantly upgrade your kitchen without major remodeling.
- Replace your kitchen faucet with an updated model.
- Change the face of your cabinet. If you have solid wood cabinets, strip the colour or finish. Then apply a new stain with a couple of drops (or squeezes!) of yellow or green oil pigment (available at your local craft store) added. The colour will have more depth and more drama!
- Replace or paint ugly laminate countertops. (Use Marine-grade paint.)
- Add warmth during cold seasons with a gorgeous rug next to the sink counter.
- Try adding beadboard as a backsplash for a traditional or country kitchen. Be sure to cover with a quality paint that can be scrubbed!
- Want a Tuscan look? Mount terracotta or stone pavers as a backsplash! Apply matching or contrasting mortar to customize the look.
- For an even more inexpensive look, use vinyl floor tiles in a stone or mosaic pattern as a backsplash. There are some wonderful vinyl tiles available today!
- For a plantation look, replace your conventional doors with window shutters.
- Try adding colour to white cabinets by painting small frames red. Ask your children to paint flowers or scenes on white paper. Then mount the paintings in the small frames and attach two or three (depending on the proportions of your cabinets) to the front of each door! (And you can change the paintings anytime you want!)
- Invest in an attractive portable kitchen island to use as a prop for a kitchen with an open center and insufficient counter space.
Voila! A dramatic makeover in your kitchen takes just a few inexpensive touches!
Of course, if you have the budget, you can go all out for improved efficiency, better storage, premium presentation and a great fresh look.
Two suggestions that always work:
- Replacing outdated appliances with newer models saved both space and energy.
- Refreshing the kitchen with a neutral, two-toned colour scheme to make the space seem larger.
When it comes to kitchens, buyers continue to demand improvement in efficiency and style, and they love remodeled kitchens and new appliances. If you are planning to sell your home, you can present your kitchen as an organized, clutter-free, versatile space that will make them feel they could be productive and happy working and interacting in the heart of their new home. Money spent updating your kitchen rewards you better than money spent on any other upgrades to your home.