Elizabeth Rotstein, Online Coordinator, HGTV.ca
Monday, August 25, 2014 12:31 PM EDT
We had the opportunity to sit down with the newest member of the HGTV Canada family, Tackle My Reno host Sebastian Clovis. This may be Sebastian's first TV series, but he’s in no way new to the renovation business. From the age of 15, Sebastian has been renovating, building and DIYing, and his talents shine through in this brand new series. From his hidden talents to his celebrity crush, here are 15 things you need to know about Sebastian Clovis.
1. Hidden talents: Sebastian has many hidden talents, some of the most surprising are his skills in crocheting, quilting and embroidering. Photo on right is a crochet camouflage hat that was a gift Sebastian made for his sister.
2. If Sebastian could hop on a plane tomorrow, where would he go? Rome, he's never been there.
3. Sebastian's favourite rom-com: The Break-Up with Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn.
4. Football career: Sebastian is a former CFL defensive back, having played for the Saskatchewan Roughriders and the B.C. Lions, who he won the Grey Cup in 2006.
5. How would Sebastian spend a free Sunday afternoon? He would spend the day at Cherry Beach in Toronto.
6. How long does it take Sebastian to get ready in the morning? Sebastian Clovis: "Now that this TV thing is going on, I have to shave every day and get my hair fixed up. It went from a five-minute routine to a 45-minute routine."
7. The early years: Sebastian’s building career started in his family’s kitchen when he was 15 years old. His parents hired a builder to renovate and asked him to take on Sebastian as his apprentice.
8. The most unusual thing we would find in Sebastian's garage: A Jugs Pitching Machine. "It's a big heavy blue machine that fires footballs at you at 100mph."
9. Sebastian's go-to recipe to make for dinner: "Pasta with meat sauce."
10. If Sebastian wasn't renovating, his dream job would be: A firefighter. "I always dreamed about being an extreme firefighter. One of those guys who jumps out into an oil fire and puts them out. The guys who get flown in on helicopters."
11. Sebastian's celebrity crush: "I can't help it, but I like Jennifer Lopez. I don't know why everyone hates on her so much, she's a great actress and I think she's gorgeous."
12. Childhood hobbies: Sebastian was an (adorable) Boy Scout.
13. The most romantic thing he has ever done for someone: "When I was in high school I wanted to invite someone to prom, so I dubbed a movie on a VHS tape, and at the end of the movie I recorded myself sitting on the sofa with a rose and asking, ‘Will you go to prom with me?’"
14. Favourite yoga pose: "Child's Pose always feels so great to me, and Cobra Pose. I got to stretch out my back from football."
15. Favourite Toronto restaurant: The Sher-e-punjab. "It's a fantastic Indian place. The naan bread is like biting into a cloud."
Want to know more about Sebastian? Here’s the 411 in our exclusive interview.
Tune in to Tackle My Reno, premiering Tuesday August 26th at 10pm ET|PT. Be sure to follow Sebastian on Facebook and Twitter too!