HGTV.ca Editorial Team
Friday, October 12, 2012 9:43 AM EST
Download these Printable Pumpkin Patterns and carve the coolest jack-o'-lantern on the block. It's so easy!
- HGTV.ca's Printable Pumpkin Patterns (Featured Below)
- Pumpkins of assorted sizes (make sure some are large enough to accommodate the patterns)
- Pumpkin carving tool
- Large spoon or scoop to remove inside of pumpkins
- Damp cloth
- Black marker
- Scotch tape
- Thick Sewing needle or push pins
- Tealight candles
1. Click on the image that you like to open the relative PDF file, or right click on the image and select "Save target as." Save in desired location. Then simply open the file and print. See continued instructions below.
2. Clean out your pumpkin as you would when carving any jack-o'-lantern. Make sure that you wipe down the outside of the pumpkin so it's free of debris. This will help the pattern stay on the pumpkin while you transfer it.
3. Cut away the excess paper from around your pattern, leaving approximately an ½ inch border so that you can tape it securely to the pumpkin. Tape the pattern to the pumpkin using scotch tape.
4. Using a thick sewing needle or similar sharp, pointed object, press the pointed tip into and through the design lines on the paper pattern, spaced about a 1/8 of an inch apart.
5. Remove the paper stencil and carve along the dotted lines created with the sewing needle. Carefully cut along the dotted lines using a carving saw or knife (never allow your small children to do this part - and even older children should have adult supervision).
6. Gently push out the pieces of pumpkin with your fingers or a blunt object, like the end of a spoon, to reveal your pattern.
7. Tip: Rub the edges of your carvings with petroleum jelly or lemon juice to keep them from browning.
8. Finally place a tealight candle in you jack-o'-lantern and voila! You've got the coolest pumpkin on the block.
Caution: Never leave a burning candle unattended.