Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:53 PM EDT
If you think the room pictured below looks eclectic, you're only seeing half the story. Sure, this room is unique — it really has a little bit of everything. But it's also cohesive. While the overall feel of the space leans mid-century modern, certain items provide rustic, Japanese, traditional and exotic flare. Together, these elements work beautifully to create a unified look and effect. In order to successfully unify pieces of furniture from different backgrounds, you really need to rely on your gut and follow your heart: the key is selecting items that you love.
Pop Colour room image via Pinterest.
A good way to tie together disparate items is with colour. Choose a colour or shade — in this room, orange — that you can strategically and selectively repeat throughout the space. There are not only bold pops of orange in this room's tulip chair cushion and artwork, but also orange undertones in the furniture and rugs.
Mimicry or echoing is also powerful. Here, the spherical light fixture picks up on the round window, drawing focus to that subtle, special architectural feature.
And don't be afraid of a little bit of (controlled) chaos: It’s amazing what a seemingly casual stack of books can do to create texture and interest. The key with this kind of design decision is to be purposeful — you can't just plop a stack of books anywhere.
Overall, this space is casual, airy and smart. Keep your eye on your local vintage stores for those special finds!! And if you get excited about a find, act fast; it might not be there the next time you go.
1. Vintage West German Vases, FULLHOUSE
2. Bruno Black Desk Lamp, Chintz & Company
3. North African Swallow print (David Burns), Provide
4. Akari D Series Hanging Lamp, The Modern Shop
5. Fritz Hansen Chair, Kit Interior Objects
6. Eero Saarinen–Style Tulip Side Chair, Overstock
7. LAX 3-Section Freestanding Unit, Design House
8. KOLDBY Cowhide Rug, IKEA
9. STOCKHOLM Coffee Table, IKEA
10. PERSISK HAMADAN Rug, IKEA
11. Leather Lounge Chairs, ...BY DESIGN MØDERN