Mid Mod Mood Board: Desert Retreat Inspired by Retro Motel
Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:21 PM EDT
The Mojave Sands Motel in Joshua Tree is the definition of effortless mid mod cool. You do not need to live in the desert to obtain this look at home. The trick is to keep your eye on your local vintage stores, eBay and craigslist, so that when the perfect find comes along, you can jump on it.
Creating a space inspired by Mojave Sands means getting back to basics and embracing a more rustic and simplistic take on mid-century modern. Get in the mood by picking up a vintage record player or a typewriter -- two emblems of favoured mid mod pastimes, especially in the desert! Sprinkle your yard with retro (or new) designer metal chairs and plant some cactus or succulent gardens. I am a firm believer in knowing when to spend and when to splurge, so if you purchase Ikea bedding and light fixtures, treat yourself to that special wall tapestry that you’ve always had your eye on, or that unique accent that makes the space really come together.
1. Vintage typewriter, Etsy
2. Retro-style record player , Urban Outfitters
3.Model 10 Tivoli radio with speaker, Vancouver Special
4. Vintage Scandinavian wool tapestry, The Fabulous Find
5. 1970's Leather chairs (sold! Sorry), By Design Modern
6. Ikea Kajsa Trad duvet cover, eBay
7. Fado table lamp, Ikea
8. Modern Trellis plant hanger, West Elm
9. Ellipse Incalmo handblown glass vases, Fullhouse Modern
10. Bend farmhouse chair, Provide
11. Weber charcoal grill, Home Depot
blog comments powered by