Elana Safronsky, Managing Editor
Wednesday, October 7, 2009 3:37 PM EDT
Oh my lord is this ever a makeover! I mean, the befores are just too funny. So funny in fact, that when I asked Cheryl to send me a little background info, I was relived to learn that this house is not necessarily the norm out there, but an extreme that was chosen for Season 1 of Colin and Justin's Home Heist. Cheryl Torrenueva was on the design team with the gents, and happened to get the distress call from the homeowners when they decided to make over the two remaining rooms the show left untouched: kitchen and dining room.
So Cheryl to the rescue! Here's what she did (in her words):
- The clients wanted to keep their existing white appliances -- not the typical request!
- They wanted to incorporate their antiques into the dining room mix even though they wanted a very modern space.
- A very tight budget
- I decided to remove the wall which divided the kitchen and dining room to create one big space for entertaining.
- Once that was removed, we had to install a bulky beam to reinforce the ceiling. To minimize the beam I created a bulkhead that mirrored the shape of the new kitchen island in the centre of the room, highlighted with potlights of course!
- We didn't have the budget for a custom kitchen so I opted for stock cabinetry from Ikea and spent the budget on the other design elements.
My signature style
...modern, polished elegance! A mix of classic finishes with a modern edge.
Palette of light, medium and dark greys, high gloss white, dark stained wood accented with metallic and glass
High gloss white cabinetry was chosen to coordinate with the existing white appliances
and trim in the same finish was used to fill in spaces to give it more of a built-in look (more details in the photo gallery below.)
You need to upgrade your Flash Player to 9 or greater
- High gloss white cabinetry, glass front uppers, open shelving - IKEA
- Granite Countertop, Nero Assoluto - Latitude
- Porcelain Tile, 12" x 24" - Saltillo Tile
- Hardwood Flooring - Woodchuck Flooring
- Grey mix glass mosaic - Saltillo Tile
- Stainless steel hardware - Lee Valley
- Faucet - Taps
- Sink - Taps
- Bar Stools - G.H.Johnson
- Dining Chairs - Blvd. Interiors
- Chandelier - Union Lighting and Furnishings